From 14 to 30 september 2018, the Michelangelo Foundation will present Homo Faber in Venice an inspiring showcase of the finest european craftsmanship at the Fondazione Giorgio Cini on San Giorgio Maggiore island.
Homo Faber in Venice celebrates European craftsmanship in the beautiful Fondazione Giorgio Cini. The building's galleries, library, cloisters and even its 1960s-designed swimming pool will host masterpieces, exhibitions, installations and workshops presenting the work of European artisans at the top of their game. Italian architect Michele de Lucchi, London-based professor of fashion Judith Clark, gallerist Jean Blanchaert, acclaimed architect Stefano Boeri and Parisian interior designer India Mahdavi are among the world-class names creating the 16 exhibition spaces. Together, the exhibits showcase a vast array of materials and expertise, from rare traditional skills on the brink of being lost to the most cutting-edge contemporary techniques.
Showcased at Homo Faber:
- two inspired spaces by India Mahdavi, the renowned Paris-based architect and designer, representing a coming together of fine craftsmanship, know-how and imaginative contemporary design will delight and surprise visitors to the exhibit Imaginary Architecture.
- Creativity and Craftsmanship eight original works created by pairings of European designers and artisans commissioned by Italian architect Michele De Lucchi
- Discovery and Rediscovery showcases 20 very special artisanal techniques inspired by the list of métiers d'art outlined by the French Institut National des Métiers d'Art (INMA
- some of Europe's most talented fashion designers, stylists and artisans will be part of a celebration of craftsmanship in the fashion industry in the exhibit Fashion Inside and Out
- all across Europe passionate artisans working with new technologies to push the boundaries of what's possible in the field of transport
- hundreds of exceptional works created by some 150 artist-artisans from all over Europe
- Doppia Firma, 13 top international designers from all over the world each teamed up with a master artisan in the Veneto region to create a unique object, or a small collection, that is a true collaboration between the two and bears the signature of each.
- a selection of vases revealing the evolution of design and its relationship with craftsmanship and the decorative arts over more than one hundred years in the exhibit Centuries of Shape.
- 12 very special European artisans in the exhibit Singular Talents.
- Poetry of Wood where master woodworkers from Italian artisanal company Bottega Ghianda will exhibit their masterpieces
- Natural Talent, a collection of original wooden pieces resulting from a collaboration between 20 young international designers and two master woodworkers
- Venetian Way: Susanna Pozzoli, photographer, artist and artisan, had the privilege of entering 21 workshops in Venice and the Veneto region
- the yacht Eilean, spectacularly restored by Panerai, the high-end watchmaking maison and former supplier of professional diving instruments and timepieces to the Italian navy
- the beautiful masterpiece by Flemish artist Anthony Van Dyck, Ritratto di Marcello Durazzo, which has been stunningly restored thanks to Venetian Heritage in collaboration with the Michelangelo Foundation, Arthemisia and Marco Voena.