Which are the World's best architecture universities in 2020?
Every year QS World University ranks the world's best universities covering 48 different subjects, here we report the world's best universities for architecture and built environment of this year.
Of the 201 universities featured in the architecture subject rankings, 38 of these are found in the US, including 12 featuring in the top 50 worldwide – the largest amount in any one country. The UK is home to 19 of the best architecture schools in the world. Mainland China contains the most ranked universities in Asia this year, with twelve universities in the architecture rankings.
With its thought-provoking motto “Mind and Hand” the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, known also as MIT ranks first at the expenses of the Bartlett School of Architecture (University College London) which surprisingly has lost two positions. The Dutch TU Delft University of Technology ranks second place gaining one position.
Excellent growth by Politecnico di Milano, one of the most outstanding technical universities in Europe, and the largest Italian university in Engineering, Architecture and Design. They climbed from last year 11th place to this year 7th place.
World's best architecture universities in 2020 are:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – United States
- TU Delft University of Technology – Netherlands
- Bartlett School of Architecture (University College London) – United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology – Switzerland
- Harvard University – United States
- University of California, Berkeley (UCB) – United States
- Politecnico di Milano – Italy
- Manchester School of Architecture – United Kingdom
- University of Cambridge – United Kingdom
- EPFL – Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne – Switzerland
- Tsinghua University – China
- National University of Singapore (NUS) – Singapore
- Columbia University – United States
- The University of Hong Kong – Hong Kong
- University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
The world's best architecture universities ranking in 2020 is compiled by QS Top Universities using four subjects:
- Academic reputation: more than 95.000 academics are asked to list up to 10 domestic and 30 international institutions which they consider to be excellent for research in the given area.
- Employer reputation: it works on a similar basis to the academic one, but without the channelling for different faculty areas. Employers are asked to identify up to 10 domestic and 30 international institutions they consider excellent for the recruitment of graduates.
- Research citations per paper
- H-index: the h-index is a way of measuring both the productivity and impact of the published work of a scientist or scholar. The index is based on the set of the academic's most cited papers and the number of citations that they have received in other publications.
Photography: Muzammil Soorma on Unsplash